Cat introduces hybrid power systems for telecommunications industry
Caterpillar’s energy division has recently launched hybrid power solutions for the nation’s mobile communication needs, which the company says can significantly reduce operating costs including a major decrease in fuel consumption.
The hybrid power solutions were recently profiled by Cat engine dealer Energy Power Systems Australia (EPSA) at the Smart Power Conference in Brisbane last month.
Cat is now offering a wide range of hybrid telecom systems that provide power solutions incorporating renewable resources.
Some of the elements utilised by Cat in its hybrid power solutions include:
- Solar Photovoltaics (PV)
- Wind turbines
- Robust long-life batteries
- Diesel or gas generator sets
- Highly Efficient Power Electronics
EPSA adds the new systems can offer several benefits to the telecom industry such as 30-100 per cent decrease in fuel consumption, extended maintenance and replacement intervals, and payback periods of three years or less in many instances.
Some of the features of the power systems, according to EPSA, are:
- Factory-built and factory-tested system for high reliability and site uptime
- Remote monitoring, control and alarms
- Multiple small components operating in parallel to enhance reliability (PV charge controllers, rectifiers, solar panels)
- Removal and replacement of major components without power interruption (Hot Swap)
- Vandal-resistant enclosures
- AC Convenience outlet for powering technician laptop computer
- Auxiliary power outputs for utilisation of excess electricity produced by solar and wind
- Suitability for remote area applications
EPSA National Business Manager for Power Generation Retail Kim Howlett says Caterpillar is working hard to do their part in protecting the environment.
"Caterpillar is helping drive positive and sustainable change on every continent by designing, installing and servicing power systems that reduce operating costs and significantly decrease fuel consumption," he says.
The new Cat hybrid power systems are now available via EPSA. Find out more on EPSA's website.
Keep up to date on the industry by signing up to Trade Earthmover's free weekly newsletter. Be the first to know about new machines for sale.